I talked Adam into walking at the beach. I bribed him with food which works like a charm. We picked up subs to eat on the beach after our walk.
After, we checked out the hotel we are staying out for our joint bacherlor/bachelorette party. So excited!!!
We’ve been eating out quite a bit over the past few weekends. I cook most nights, but when I’m not in the mood or too busy, we grab a bite out or take in.
Eating out and ordering in doesn’t have to knock you off your diet. You can still go out or even order in and eat delicious and nutritious foods that won’t leave you feeling bloated afterwards.
Here is my version of ‘eat this, not that’ for different food cuisines and restaurants.
(*** Disclaimer: I am not a certified nutritionist or health expert by any means; these are just swaps I have found that work for me- give them a try, it may work for you too!)
- Shrimp tempura roll or bagel roll
- Fried gyozo dumplings
- House salad drenched in ginger dressing
- Kanisu or any roll wrapped in cucumber
- steamed edamame
- Miso soup
- House salad with ginger dressing on the side
- Queso and chips
- Burrito with the works
- 2-3 tbsp guac and load up on pico de gallo with a few chips, not the whole basket!
- Chicken or shrimp fajitas without the shell and no cheese or sour cream
- Pasta fagioli soup
- Chicken Parmigana
- Spaghetti with sauce
- Minestrone soup
- Escarole and beans
- ***Some restaurants substitute spaghetti squash instead of pasta
- Grilled chicken breast with a side of marinara sauce to dip
- Gyro wrap with fries
- Fried calamari
- Lamb or chicken gyro meat on a Greek salad
- Grilled octopus with lemon
- Sesame chicken and fried rice
- Steamed chicken or shrimp with mixed veggies, no sauce, with brown rice. Instead, sprinkle with coconut aminos for great flavor. If you’re feeling extra frisky, dip into sweet chili sauce to add more sweetness and flavor.
- Double burger with cheese and mayo on a bun
- Skip the cheese and ask if they can wrap the burger in lettuce. Get ketchup and mustard on the side to dip. Add on all the veggies for added flavor and crunch. I usually go for the burger instead of a veggie or turkey burger. The turkey meat is usually dark meat which is almost just as many calories as the burger meat. Go for the burger meat to get some iron!
Ice cream parlor
- Full fat ice cream with cookie and candy toppings
- Dairy free sorbet
- Coconut milk ice cream
- Toppings: fresh fruit and coconut shavings
- Italian sub with cheese, Italian dressing, mayo on white bread
- Italian sub, no cheese, no mayo, wrapped in lettuce with oil and vinegar. If you’re in the mood for the bread try whole wheat or multi grain and ask them to scoop out the middle.
Of course you are going to splurge for special occasions and when you’re on vacation. But, you can cut corners and eat delicious and decadent food without the extra fat and calories.
What food swaps do you do?