Sometimes the last thing you want to do when you get home from a long day of work is cook dinner. It’s easy to just pick up take out or order in. But then you’re subject to eating tons of fat and unneeded calories that are in your fast foods.
So what do you do???
The answer is easy!
Using a slow cooker/crockpot takes a little bit of prep work, but after you throw the ingredients in, set it and forget it…until it’s dinner time!
Here is my recipe for eggplant parmigiana. It is gluten free and vegetarian. (It can be made vegan if you swap the cheese for a vegan based cheese and substitute egg wash.)
Peel and slice eggplant
- Sprinkle pieces with salt on both sides and let it sit in colander for an hour so the water inside of the eggplant comes out
- Rinse salt off and pat dry or you can squeeze out extra water from the eggplant like I did after I rinsed the salt off the eggplant
- In two bowls whisk 3 eggs in one and almond meal, 1 tbsp dried oregano, garlic and onion powder and a sprinkling of ground pepper
***I don’t add anymore salt to the dish as the eggplant has some salt soaked into it already from the prep earlier
- Coat eggplant in egg wash and then coat with the almond meal mixture
- Spread some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the crockpot/slow cooker, about 1/4 c
- Place one layer of eggplant on the tokay sauce
- Evenly sprinkle mozzerlla cheese
- Add another layer of sauce
- Add another layer of cheese. Repeat as many times as needed. I had 3 layers total
- Cover and set on low for 4 hours. Turn it off. Turn machine on ‘warm’ setting a few minutes before ready to eat
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if you like!
I served this with a side of quinoa spaghetti with a simple olive oil and garlic sauce with parm cheese.
What is your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Cheers! xxJ 🍝